Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Where I'm From

Uncertainty on life's pathway
I am from long walks,
From huge backyards and tall trees
I’m from moving boxes
Holding memories wrapped up in bubble wrap
I am from bustling streets
With peddlers peddling wares
With foul-smelling air and cluttered side-walks

I am from the big red car
And four guys in coloured shirts.
I’m from first days
And new houses
I am from firm handshakes
And you can’t keep being so shy
I’m from The Daily Show
And The Colbert Report
With bad words that you’re not allowed to say.

I’m from Eat your greens
And finish your food.
I’m from Gai yang and sticky rice,
From Arab food
And family reunions.
I’m from the delicious small cakes,
And the big memories that are cooked into each one.

I’m from hard days at the Docks
To save money for school.
I’m from immigration lines
And passport stamps.
I’m from uncertainty
And hope
Wrapped up all in one.



No comments:

Post a Comment