Monday, March 14, 2011

Choices, Consequences


I have to write another post about the giver, this time about something that the giver said. He said that people in this world would find it frightening to make teir own decisions. The question is:

Why would peopel find it frightening to amke choices?

I personally find making decisions scary even though I've made them before, unlike those in this book. I always find it hard to make decisions as I am always afraid that if I make the wrong one then that the consequences will be horrible and I'll have to live with them for a while. If I make the wrong choice and I bear the repercussions then I can live with myself as I am the one to suffer. However if someone else suffers the I would feel abosolutely awful, as through my mistake someone else would have to endure something because of my own mistake. I don't know about you but I would feel horrible if I did that to someone, as I have before.

It's a different case with the people of Jonas' community as they have never made a large decision in their life so they would be scared of the concept of a choice. Choices as a thing are pretty scary themselves as generally you have to make one. If your stuck then eventually the pressure builds up as you get closer to the day that you must make your final decision. Once you make it there are tow possible thoughts that could be going through your head. The first one: wow, glad thats over, no point in regretting it, it's all over. The other: no, no, I should have chosen the other, I can still change! NO don't do that, you're just being indecisive. These people have never been through this thought process and it will definitely scare them as it has scared many others before.

We are all afraid of something different, in their case it will be choices this added with the
pressure I have talked about above is enough to bring anyone to their knees. I agree with giver prediction that if they made choices they would be scared.

This is
AlexK
Signing out

No comments:

Post a Comment