Sunday, November 7, 2010

A Discussion


A few days ago, a few of my classmates and I had a discussion about a book called Julie of the Wolves. We had all prepared for the discussion, writing "literature circles" about the book. Literature circles are our opinions of what is going on in the book. In this discussion we were supposed to get new perspectives on the book. Just to give you a bit of background information, this book is about an Eskimo girl, living in Alaska, called Miyax, who runs away from her mean child husband Daniel hoping to make it to San Francisco where her pen pal lives. Along the way she gets lost and is stuck in the Alaskan wilderness. She joins a pack of wolves, hoping to survive among them as part of their pack.

How did this discussion help me understand the book?

This discussion gave me several new takes on the book which I had not thought of. These opinions were very well thought out and the people who had offered them had evidence taken from the book to support them. Though I disagreed with several of them, I still understood what they were talking about and how it seemed they had come to this conclusion. These new perspectives on the book gave me a new way to think about the book as I move on to the next part I must read.

Connections

My group made several connections between the things that happened in the book and stuff that happened that affected us or that we had heard about. Quite a few of these connections had to do with the social fabric of the wolf pack and its similarities to some human situations, such as school and within politics.

Predictions

We had no predictions as such, but there was definitely something which I think all of us agreed might happen. It was this: there will be some sort of friction going on involving Amaroq, the chief wolf. Amaroq seemed something of an enigma to all of us and he also seemed rather unpredictable. This, we think, will lead to a sort of relationship gone wrong between him and one of the other wolves, or even Miyax. We also think that Amaroq might have some sort of hidden agenda which he may use to secure his power beyond doubt.
http://static2.bigstockphoto.com/thumbs/2/7/2/large2/2727097.jpg

This is
AlexK
Signing out

No comments:

Post a Comment